- Private, nonprofit organizations
- Revenues usually include a mixture of individual and business donations; membership dues; foundation support; earned-income activities; and grants or service contracts from local, state, and federal governments
- More likely to be actively engaged in marketing and public relations, online art and event calendars, audience development, volunteer recruitment, board development, and individual giving
- Usually found in smaller communities
- Public LAAs are part of the city or county government. Increasingly, public LAAs are located throughout municipal government (e.g., mayor’s office, local economic development departments, and tourism and community development agencies).
- Largest source of revenue is from local government and the their largest expenditure is awarding grants and contracts to local artists and cultural institutions
- Usually found in medium to large communities