Emerging Leader Council Elections
The Emerging Leaders Council (ELC) is an elected advisory body to Americans for the Arts and assists with developing programs and resources to promote the growth, development, and sustenance of emerging arts professionals nationwide. ELC members are provided with professional development opportunities to engage in the field on the national level; build new and dynamic relationships with colleagues; learn firsthand about new programs, resources, and tools from Americans for the Arts; design and implement programs for their peers; and be recognized on the Americans for the Arts website.
Nominations for the 2013 Emerging Leaders Council are closed.
- Emerging Leaders Council Vision Statement
The Americans for the Arts Emerging Leader Council strives to ensure a bright and democratic future for the arts in America.
- Emerging Leaders Council Mission Statement
To advise in the implementation of programs and development of organizational vision that engages, develops, and sustains emerging arts professionals nationwide.
- Emerging Leaders Council Goals
- Strengthen an Informed Leadership: Expand, publicize, and increase access to professional development opportunities for emerging arts leaders.
- Increase Resources and Meaningful Policies for the Arts: Develop a strong national Emerging Leaders Network and support the creation of well-connected, regional chapters.
- Advance the Value Proposition for the Arts: Recognize, promote, and build awareness of the value of the arts and arts education by leveraging the skills and resources of the Emerging Leaders Network.
Local Arts Advancement Advisory Councils have several opportunities to offer Americans for the Arts leadership, support, and advice on, they include:
- Americans for the Arts annual programming (Convention, Emerging Leaders Preconference, Local Arts Classroom)
- Americans for the Arts Blog (posting, annual blog salon, responding, etc.)
- Research (field surveys, program evaluation, etc.)
- Network specific programs (i.e., Emerging Leaders Network Creative Conversations)
- Serving on subcommittees for special projects that will build a deeper connection with the Emerging Leaders Network and help advance the arts in local communities.
The Emerging Leaders Council meets on a quarterly basis through conference calls, as well as two mandatory in-person meetings. An Americans for the Arts staff liaison must be present on all calls and be present at all in-person meetings.
Council members are responsible for their airfare and accommodations at both mandatory in-person meetings. Last year, travel expenses for both in-person meetings for each council member were estimated at $3,000.
The 2013 Emerging Leaders Council winter meeting will be held January 10–11, 2013 in Washington, DC.
A June in-person council meeting will be held in association with our 2013 Annual Convention in Pittsburgh, PA.
It is strongly encouraged that nominees consult their organizations about holding a council position, as it involves committing time and money in the form of conference calls, volunteer national projects, and mandatory attendance at events and in-person meetings.
View the list of current Emerging Leaders Council members and their bios.