Emerging Leader Council (ELC) Committees are voted on annually at the Winter ELC Meeting, in response to the Council's workplan and goals for the year.
The ELC currently oversees the following five committees:
- Governance Committee
- Expanding Relations
- Programs/Events Committee
- Technology/Communications Committee
- Additional, ad hoc committees may be formed as-needed
- The ELC chair assigns Committee members based upon the interests of the ELC members.
- ELC committees are chaired (or co-chaired) by ELC members. Committee chairs are elected by committee. Council chairs serve one-year renewable terms.
- Committee chair responsibilities include: working with Americans for the Arts staff to identify agenda items, leading the committee conference calls, electing note takers for calls, keeping the committee on task, and delegating assignments as necessary.
Non-Council Committee Members
- The majority of committee members are ELC members, although non-council members may be invited to serve on one or more committees.
- Invitations to non-council committee members are extended soon after committee chairs are appointed and are decided upon by the committee chairs.
- Up to three non-council committee members may serve on one committee (though no more than two are recommended).
- Non-council committee members serve terms of one year, though they may be asked to continue service after their term has expired.
- Non-council committee members may not serve on the Governance Committee.
- This smaller subset of the ELC meets to discuss council governance-related items. Before every Governance Committee call, a notification to the full council requesting proposed agenda items is sent. The minutes of a meeting summary are sent to the full council within one week of the meetings.
- The Governance Committee reviews the ELC operating procedures on an annual basis or as needed.
- During elections, this committee reviews all nominations to the ELC and selects a slate of nominees to present to the field at-large for voting. A simple majority is required for this process.
- This committee also nominates individuals for the position of chair and vice chair, and submits this slate to the ELC at-large for final voting.
Expanding Relations Committee
The purpose of the Expanding Relations Committee is to strengthen the network of emerging leader programs within the arts field and to foster strategic relationships with other regional, national, and international organizations that will support the mission of the ELC.
The purpose of the Programs/Events Committee is to aid in the development of emerging leader networking opportunities and/or community meetings, and to provide a presence for the emerging leader program at the Americans for the Arts Annual Convention. The responsibilities of this Committee include coordinating the logistics and marketing of:
- The Arts Advocacy Day Emerging Leader Reception, held annually in March/April
- The Emerging Leader peer group meetings at the Annual Convention
- The Emerging Leader Reception at the Annual Convention
- The Emerging Arts Leaders creative conversations held annually in October
The Technology/Communications Committee advises Americans for the Arts on expanding the presence of emerging leaders and fostering interaction using online technologies.