Congress Designated September 11-17, 2016 for the National Celebration
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
Passed by Congress in 2010, House Resolution 275 designates the week beginning with the second Sunday in September as National Arts in Education Week. During this week, the field of arts education joins together in communities across the country to tell the story of the impact of the transformative power of the arts in education. We celebrate, we advocate, and we bring attention to our cause. Americans for the Arts is happy to join this national effort to bring visibility to the cause.
Over the course of the week, the field of arts education will rally together with a common message: the arts are essential to a well-rounded education. Americans for the Arts encourages individuals and organizations throughout the country to take the following actions in honor of the week:
- Celebrate. Host celebrations across the country. Whether big or small, we have seen over 250 celebrations annually occur across the country. Utilize shared messaging and branding to be a part of something bigger.
- Advocate. Work with your elected officials and decision makers to share the value of the arts in education. Whether a mayor, principal, or U.S. Congressman, check out sample resolutions, videos, and fact sheets to help bring them on board.
- Share your story. Participate in the social media campaign to bring national visibility to the issue of arts education. This is your chance to tell your own personal story of the transformative power of the arts in education.
Americans for the Arts will celebrate with members of the Arts Education network (and other guests, too!). The overarching theme of the field education being offered focuses on Pathways Towards Inclusive Arts Education. Offerings are hosted on ARTSblog and ArtsU on the following topics:
- Changing Demographics in Education
- English Language Learners
- Students on the Autism Spectrum
- Social Emotional Learning
- Opportunities in CTE
Each day of the week at 3pm EST, a webinar will be hosted on one of the designated topics. The webinars can be registered for ahead of time and will be free of charge to all attendees. Each day of the week at 8pm EST, a twitter chat will be hosted on one of the designated topics. Register now for the #ArtsEdChat. Additionally, a group of 25 bloggers is selected to write about their experience in arts education and the impact it has had on their lives on ARTSblog.
Please save the dates for upcoming National Arts in Education Week celebrations:
- September 17 – 23, 2017
- September 16 – 22, 2018
- September 8 – 14, 2019
- September 13 – 19, 2020