Roswell Arts Fund and the City of Roswell, Georgia invites artists to submit proposals of existing outdoor art works for consideration for ArtAround Roswell 2019, a Sculpture Tour; a temporary art installation to be installed at various outdoor sites in the City of Roswell, Georgia. Proposals selected through this call will be considered for exhibition during an 11-month tour from April 13, 2019 - March 1, 2020.
ArtAround Roswell introduces public art to a broad community, promotes appreciation of fine works of art, enhances outdoor spaces and enriches lives. We seek to have a well-balanced and diverse exhibition of sculptures with a variety of styles, types, and sizes.
Ten outdoor sculptures will be selected and installed in key locations throughout the city, park system and historical downtown Roswell. Sites may be publicly or privately owned. Photos of current sites and sculptures can be viewed at www.roswellartsfund.org. Final available sites will be determined after 2018 sculpture sales are completed. Appendix A describes the current and potential sites.
We seek artwork that captures the spirit and brand of Roswell, is compelling for residents and visitors, and connects to the cultural energy of the various neighborhoods and city. If possible, a visit to the city and potential sites is recommended.
At least one piece will be purchased as a permanent work of art for the City of Roswell by the Roswell Arts Fund. Two sculptures were purchased from our first sculpture tour, and four sculptures were purchased from our second tour. Additionally, two cash awards will be presented to the top two favorite sculptures in the amounts of $500.00 and $250.00 respectively.
This invitation is extended to all qualified artists with no entry fee. Artists will receive a $2500 stipend for the loan of their work, paid in two installments ($1250 at installation, and $1250 when the art work is deinstalled). All sculptures are for sale to the general public unless otherwise stated, but must remain installed for the entirety of the eleven months of the exhibition and tour. A sales commission of 30% will go to the Roswell Arts Fund, the City’s designated arts agency, for all sculptures sold during the tour. Roswell Arts Fund conducts an annual campaign to promote the purchase of ArtAround Roswell sculptures.
A visual listing, an online brochure, map and OTOCAST app and audio will be available as a guide for the ArtAround Roswell sculpture tour. In addition, the art and artist’s profiles will be promoted on our website, roswellartsfund.org, social media, city websites, emails, etc. We encourage all interested artists to visit www.roswellartsfund.org for more information.
ArtAround Roswell is a collaboration between the Roswell Arts Fund and the City of Roswell. The sculptures are hosted by the City of Roswell, Department of Recreation and Parks and Private Sector owners.
Modern Spirit. Southern Soul.
Roswell’s vision……A premier riverside community, connecting strong neighborhoods and the entrepreneurial spirit.
Roswell is a successful city that blends its history with its future, and urbanism with its environmental resources. Roswell is home to a wealth of artists, performance venues, nonprofit organizations, galleries, and historic homes.
In addition, Roswell has become a robust dining destination, boasts a Triple AAA Bond rating, enjoys a unique proximity to the Chattahoochee River and has 22 parks with more than 1000 acres of active and passive parkland facilities.
Roswell has been awarded many designations, including the following recognitions and awards:
• Named a Gold Certified Green Community by the Atlanta Regional Commission for leadership in its environmental and sustainability efforts
• Named One of the Top Three Cities in the Nation to Raise Your Family: Roswell was listed third in the book, "Best Places to Raise Your Family," released by Frommer's
• Roswell is ranked as the 18th Safest City in the United States according to City Crime Rankings
• Named the 6th Best Place to Retire in the United States by Black Enterprise Magazine
• City of Excellence: Only 50 cities in the state have been honored with the designation by the Georgia Municipal Association
• Designated as a Bicycle Friendly Community in 2006 by the League of American Bicyclists
• "Money Magazine's" 19th Best Eastern U.S. City to Live: Roswell was ranked 19th for cities with populations under 100,000
• "Atlanta Magazine's" Best Place to Live in Metro Atlanta: Roswell was honored twice by "Atlanta Magazine" as the best place to live in the metro area
• Internationally Accredited Police Department: Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
• State of Georgia Law Enforcement Certification: Roswell Police Department
• Nationally Accredited Recreation and Parks Department: Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies
• Preserve America Community Designation: Honored for its efforts in preserving our historic, cultural, and natural heritage
• Gold Medal for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management by the American Academy for Parks
• Trendsetter Award 2006: Roswell received the award for the Big Creek Wetlands
demonstration project from the Georgia Municipal Association
• Create Community Award 2005: The Atlanta Regional Commission's most prestigious award. Roswell was honored for its efforts in environmental sustainability
• Achievement of Excellence in Procurement: The National Institute of Governmental Purchasing 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
• Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting: City of Roswell has received a Certificate of Achievement for the last 24 consecutive years, since June 30, 1989
• Georgia Recreation and Parks Agency of the Year: 1974, 1979, 1984, 1988, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2011
• Budget Presentation Award: Government Finance Officers Association 10 consecutive years since June 30, 2004
• Tree City USA Award: The National Arbor Day Foundation
Roswell Public Art Intent and Goals:
Roswell’s Public Art for People and Places seeks art of redeeming quality that enhances the aesthetic quality and experience of public places. The public art selected through this initiative will be of high quality, innovative, and embody our city’s Modern Spirit. Southern Soul.
Specific ArtAround Roswell Objectives include:
Enhance the aesthetic appeal, interest, and experience of residents and visitors.
Introduce Fine Arts to a broader population and more specifically activate and advance the discussion on Public Art (a museum without walls).
Actualize the City of Roswell’s vision/brand to be a “premier riverside community connecting strong neighborhoods and the entrepreneurial spirit”, a City that is both modern as well as steeped in history.
Actualize recommendations of the Imagine Roswell Arts & Culture 2030 study completed in 2015 and our Public Art Master Plan completed in 2017.
Leverage the river, parks and downtown areas and their frequent visitors.
Acquire at least one piece to be installed permanently in the city.
Provide accompanying events to engage and energize the community.
Build collaboration between the various Roswell City departments, commissions boards, business and civic organizations.
ArtAround Roswell is a multifaceted annual arts experience accompanied by community planned events featuring performance, music, dance, and other special events. Interactive activities include tours and contests. We kick off the Tour with a community wide celebration at one of the sculpture sites. During the Tour we organize several sculpture tours all of which are open to the public, and some of which are events with partner organizations. Examples include a Bike Tour with Bike Roswell; tours that conclude at one of our microbreweries and/or wine bars; tours that depart from our Saturday morning Farmer’s Markets, or monthly Riverside Sounds concerts.
Length of Project:
Installation is anticipated to be completed during March 2019. The exhibition will be from April 13, 2019 - March 1, 2020.